Ned! I exclaimed. 尼德·兰!我喊。
In person, sir, and still after his prize! the Canadian replied.
正是他哩,先生,他是来追他的奖金的!加拿大人答。
You were thrown overboard after the frigate's collision?
您也是在战舰被撞的时候被抛人海中的吗?
Yes, professor, but I was luckier than you, and right away I was able to set foot on this floating islet.
是的,教授,但情形比您好些,我几乎是立刻就能站立在一个浮动的小岛上了。
Is let?
一个小岛吗?
Or in other words, on our gigantic narwhale.
或者更正确地说,是站在你的那只巨大的独角鲸上。
Explain yourself, Ned.
尼德·兰,请你讲清楚吧。
It's just that I soon realized why my harpoon got blunted and couldn't puncture its hide.
不过,我很快就了解我的鱼叉为什么不能伤害它,为什么碰在它表皮上就碰弯了。
Why, Ned, why?
为什么呢?尼德·兰,为什么呢?
Because, professor, this beast is made of boilerplate steel!
教授,因为那个东西是钢板做的!
At this point in my story, I need to get a grip on myself, reconstruct exactly what I experienced, and make doubly sure of everything I write.
到这里,我不能不振作一精一神,重新回忆一番,并且检查一下自己以前的想法。
The Canadian's last words caused a sudden uphea一val in my brain.
加拿大人的最后几句话使我心中的想法立即转变了。