Conseil kept Ned under observation. The harpooner walked in the lead, and during his stroll through this forest, he gathered with sure hands some excellent fruit that should ha一ve completed his provisions.
康塞尔总是随着尼德·兰。鱼叉手在前走,当他在树林中走过的时候,他手法熟练,总能采到很好吃的果子,把贮藏的食品更加丰富起来。
So, Conseil asked, you ha一ve everything you need, Ned my friend?
康塞尔问:尼德·兰好朋友,我们再也不短什么了吧?
Humph! the Canadian put in.
嗯!加拿大人表示不耐烦地说。
What! You're complaining?
怎么!您还不满足吗?
All this vegetation doesn't make a meal, Ned replied. Just side dishes, dessert. But where's the soup course? Where's the roast?
所有这些植物都不能成为正式的整餐,尼德·兰回答,那是整餐最后的莱,那是餐后的点心。可是汤在哪儿呢?肉在哪儿呢?
Right, I said. Ned promised us cutlets, which seems highly questionable to me.
对呀,我说,尼德答应我的排骨,看来很成问题了。
Sir, the Canadian replied, our hunting not only isn't over, it hasn't even started. Patience! We're sure to end up bumping into some animal with either feathers or fur, if not in this locality, then in another.
先生,加拿大人回答,打猎不但没有结束,而是还没有开始呢。耐心些!我们一定可以碰到一些有羽一毛一的动物,如果这一处没有,另一处一定有…
And if not today, then tomorrow, because we mustn't wander too far off, Conseil added. That's why I propose that we return to the skiff.
如果今天碰不着,明天一定可以碰着,康塞尔补充说,因为我们不应走得过远。我要提议回小艇中去了。
What! Already! Ned exclaimed.
什么!就要回去了!尼德·兰喊。
We ought to be back before nightfall, I said.
我们在黑夜到来之前一定要回去。我说。
But what hour is it, then? the Canadian asked.
那现在是什么时候呢?加拿大人问。
Two o'clock at least, Conseil replied.
至少是午后两点了。康塞尔回答。
How time flies on solid ground! exclaimed Mr. Ned Land with a sigh of regret.
在地上过的时间真快呵!尼德·兰师傅带着惋惜的叹声说。
Off we go! Conseil replied.
走吧。康塞尔回答。
So we returned through the forest, and we completed our harvest by making a clean sweep of some palm cabbages that had to be picked from the crowns of their trees, some small beans that I recognized as the abrou of the Malaysians, and some high-quality yams.
我们从林中穿回来,我们又得到了新的食品,因为我们临时又采摘了菜棕搁果,这果一定要到树顶上去采,我认出是马来亚人叫做阿布卢的小豆,以及上等品质的芋薯。