I was left to myself; I went to bed but slept pretty poorly. I kept hearing noises from the sa一vages, who were stamping on the platform and letting out deafening yells. The night passed in this way, without the crew ever emerging from their usual inertia. They were no more disturbed by the presence of these man-eaters than soldiers in an armored fortress are troubled by ants running over the armor plate.
我又是独自一人了,我睡下,但睡不着。我听到土人所作的声响,他们发出震耳的叫喊,在乎台上不停地用脚踩踏,一一夜便这样过去,船上人员仍是照常不动,全不理睬。这些土人在他们面前,他们一点也没有感到不安,就像守在铁甲堡垒中的兵士全不留心在铁甲上奔跑的蚂蚁一样。
I got up at six o'clock in the morning. The hatches weren't open. So the air inside hadn't been renewed; but the air tanks were kept full for any eventuality and would function appropriately to shoot a few cubic meters of oxygen into the Nautilus's thin atmosphere.
到六点,我起床来。嵌板并没有打开,所以船一内一部的。空气有调换,但储藏库中总是装满空气的,于是及时使用它, 把好几立方米的氧放人诺第留斯号的缺氧空气中,我在房一中工作,直到中午,一刻也没有看见尼摩船长,好像船没有作任何开行的准备。
I worked in my stateroom until noon without seeing Captain Nemo even for an instant. Nobody on board seemed to be making any preparations for departure.
我又等了些时候,然后到客厅去。大针正指两点半十分钟一内一,海潮就要达到最高点了。
I still waited for a while, then I made my way to the main lounge. Its timepiece marked 2:30. In ten minutes the tide would reach its maximum elevation, and if Captain Nemo hadn't made a rash promise, the Nautilus would immediately break free. If not, many months might pass before it could lea一ve its coral bed.
如果尼摩船长没有们狂妄的诺言,那么诺第留斯号立即就要脱离礁石了。不然的话,那在它能离开珊瑚石床之前,恐怕还要这样度过不知多少年月呢。
But some preliminary vibrations could soon be felt over the boat's hull. I heard its plating grind against the limestone roughness of that coral base.
可是,不久就在船身上感到有些作为前奏的抖一颤。我听到珊瑚石上石灰质形成的不乎表面在船边上摩一擦,沙沙作响了。
At 2:35 Captain Nemo appeared in the lounge.
两点三十五分,尼摩船长出现在客厅中。
We're about to depart, he said.
我们要开行了。他说。
Ah! I put in.
啊!我喊一声。
I've given orders to open the hatches.
我下了命令,要打开嵌板。
What about the Papuans?
那些巴布亚人呢?
What about them? Captain Nemo replied, with a light shrug of his shoulders.
哪些巴布亚人?尼摩船长回答,同时轻轻地耸一耸肩。
Won't they come inside the Nautilus?
他们不是要走进诺第留斯号里面来吗?
How will they manage that?
怎样进来?
By jumping down the hatches you're about to open.
从您叫人打开的嵌板进来。